As Hippocrates said, food is medicine.
But what food specifically for which person? Under what particular circumstances? And when? These nuanced questions are far more complicated to answer.
Thanks to some astonishing breakthroughs in medical technology, scientists are at the threshold of prescribing food to sidestep disease, predict diagnostic outcomes, promote longevity, and enhance well-being on a highly individuated basis.
The era of personalized medicine is upon us. And at the tip of this revolution is today’s guest, Dr. Tim Spector.
Arguably the world’s leading authority on the cutting edge of microbiome research, Tim is a globally-renowned epidemiologist, geneticist, and author. Awarded the distinction Order of The British Empire (or OBE), he has published over 1,000 original articles in some of the world’s top scientific journals, is the director of the TwinsUK Registry, founder of the British Gut Project, and co-founder of the data science company ZOE.
He is also the bestselling author of several books, including The Diet Myth—the first introduction on the importance of the gut microbiome for human health for a non-scientific audience and Spoon Fed, a primer on the latest evidence on food science and personalized nutrition. His latest work is Food for Life, an in-depth, scientific breakdown of what and when to eat, and ways we can all improve our own personal nutrition.
“Nutrition isn’t one size fits all. The more you experiment and get to know your body, the better you will understand the food you need to thrive.”
– TIM SPECTOR
Specific topics discussed in this episode include:
- Our rapidly evolving understanding of the microbiome and its wide-ranging impact on every facet of health;
- food myths and misconceptions regarding labeling;
- the importance of plant diversity in one’s diet;
- the role probiotics and prebiotics play in our bodies;
- the physical impacts of intermittent fasting or time-restricted eating;
- how technology and ‘Citizen Science’ are advancing the field of personalized nutrition and health care;
- the environmental implications of food systems and consumer food choices; and
- the future of food, microbiome science, and more.
This is a fascinating conversation that will leave you reframing the importance diet plays in your life—and what the near future holds for better health for all.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change II'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s DS-01® Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically verified and naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Visit seed.com/RichRoll and use code ROLL for 25% OFF your first order.
SriMu: Insanely delicious artisanal plant-based cheeses handcrafted with the finest ingredients on earth. Always dairy-free, vegan, paleo, keto, low-carb, and gluten-free—sign up today for any subscription and receive a FREE Eternal Box valued at $48. This box has three amazing and decadent flavors—try them all at SriMu.com/RRP. Offer valid through June 30th, 2023.
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Unlock 20% OFF your order with code RICHROLL at ROKA.com.
Caldera Lab: High-performance men’s skincare made from nature’s purest ingredients and pharmaceutical-grade science. Caldera Lab’s incredible products are clinically proven to improve skin health—all while doing right for the planet through sustainable business practices. Invest in your skin without compromise at calderalab.com/richroll and unlock 20% OFF your order with code RICHROLL.
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Visit Squarespace.com/RichRoll for a FREE trial, and when you’re ready to launch, use the offer code RichRoll to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
- Connect With Tim: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Book: Food for Life
- Book: Spoon Fed
- Book: The Diet Myth
- Zoe: Personalized Nutrition
- Zoe: What Does Professor Tim Spector Eat in a Day?
- American Society For Microbiology: Open Platform for Citizen Science Microbiome Research
- Stanford: Dr. Christopher Gardner & Co-Authors Discover Fermented-Food Diet Increases Microbiome Diversity and Lowers Inflammation
- Environmental Working Group: EWG’s 2023 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce
- The Guardian: Eat fibre first – and ditch the juice: five quick and easy tips for a much healthier meal
- Financial Times: Professor Tim Spector, the star British scientist, selects his favourite articles on the future of food — and our planet
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg, Grayson Wilder & Gizelle Peters; video clips for social media are created by AJ Akpodiete; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Third-party books and products denoted on this page and website may be hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.